Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Big Girl Room

We've been working on a new "big girl" room for Eleanor, which means quite a project for the biggest girl in the house. Switching her to the room next door also gave us the chance to do some long-overdue de-junking!

She wanted her room to look like outside, so we started with the tree idea. When I told the guy at Sherwin Williams I just needed a little bit of brown paint to paint a tree, he thought I was talking about a real tree trunk outside! I sewed the canopy and used Gavin's engineering skills to hang it.



The most important phase of this project was really the closet. There is very little space because of a vent going through it. Gavin took out the one shelf and rod and made the space much more efficient with a double rod and shelves. We took the doors off and made curtains that slide open so
she can get at everything more easily.





I started really questioning my sanity while making these curtains. For some reason, my vision for the room included an Austrian shade because it would be soft and pretty and look like the "sun" in the room. Do not try this at home. It works, it's lovely, but I'm still deciding whether the loss of many hours and brain cells was worth it!

We found the cute wooden bird cut-outs which I painted and stuck around the room. It's a fun big girl space for her and best of all there is a place for everything! Hopefully that means it will be easier to keep everything in it's place, right?

9 comments:

Jolayne said...

Fantastic! I love it. Have you done anything special to her old room?

Marie said...

I bet she loves it! I do!

JenD said...

It's beautiful!

Mom said...

I'm impressed! It looks just beautiful.... I hate the thought of lost brain cells, but the Austrian shade looks perfect!

KrisJ said...

What a cute room! We are going to redo Maddies room this summer and I might just make you do it for me!!!

Erica said...

Holy cow- look at all the talent!! That room is a dream!

Corinne said...

All I can say is....Pottery Barn, eat your heart out!

Jess said...

Wow! That is amazing Beck!

Jeanine said...

Becky --
My girls & I love her room! You have so many talents! And to think I held you as your babysitter when you were Katherine's size... Years are so fleeting! Congrats! Enjoy every season!