Monday, January 21, 2008

Do Pancakes go with Creme Brulee?

I've been ever-so-subtly hinting to Gavin that he should try out our new dishes by making some creme brulee. Of course, with his attentions turned to dessert that leaves me with responsibility for dinner. And that begs the question... What do you make to go with Creme Brulee? This problem is compounded by the fact that we haven't planned a menu for the week. I cannot cook without a menu. Inspiration simply does not come to me on an empty stomach. I can use this to prove that despite what many of you think, I am really not a creative person. Because when dinner time comes without a plan the only thing I can think of is pancakes. And I'm pretty sure pancakes do not go with Creme Brulee, which seems like the kind of dessert that should always be capitalized.

So, after putting the fabulous dessert in to cook for an hour, Gavin rescues me by taking care of dinner as well. He is of course a creative person. Look at this beautiful dinner. Jamaican Jerk Chicken on a bed of couscous with glazed butternut squash. I'm pretty sure that will go with Creme Brulee - which turned out fabulous. Although more practice couldn't hurt.

7 comments:

sarita said...

Yum-can I come to dinner? If not, would you at least consider posting the recipe?
As far as I'm concerned, ANYTHING goes with Creme Brulee, including pancakes.

Thanks for the book tips, by the way. I really appreciate it!

Jolayne said...

Holy cow, you've got an IT guy that doubles as a chef. Lucky!!!

Mom said...

That sounds and looks wonderful!!
Way to go Gavin!

Erica said...

Oh my heck! I need a cook too!!!

Kristin said...

I'm pretty sure everything goes with creme brulee. Including pancakes or, my perennial favorite last-minute dinner, french toast.

:o)

Rochelle said...

Do you really need anything to go with creme brulee? I mean, it could definitely stand as a meal by itself. Oh man, I was in dessert heaven last night! Thanks again!

mcojaadams said...

Your Creme Brulee is amazing! Thanks for hosting bookclub! Gavin is welcome to make dessert when I host in October!
Jamie