Friday, January 8, 2010

Handmade Holidays

I love to give handmade gifts for Christmas. Maybe it's because creating things puts me in a merry mood or it's my own pushback against materialism. I like that it tells your loved ones that you truly put some time and thought into their gift.

Here's a few things I made this year. A dress for Eleanor and a matching skirt/shirt for Katie. I even made a matchy babydoll dress for Katie's baby. Yikes, handsewing is not my finest skill, but she's pretty forgiving.

I made matching aprons for my newlywed sister and her husband. Whipped up a little I-spy bag for my niece. And finally, made some new stockings for Katie and Eleanor. Not a great picture, but they have soft velvet and cute buttons.


I was encouraging Eleanor to make something for Katie insteading of buying a gift (with our money). So, she drew up this design for a bib and embroidered the whole thing herself! So proud, sniff...sniff. I just taught her a simple backstitch and she went to town. She's so pleased with it she wants Katie to wear it every time she eats!

Gavin even got into the fun and made the biggest bow I've ever seen to go on our new leather couch. Thanks honey!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are the craftiest family I know! I think it is great that you are starting your kids so young to appreciate the joy in making handmade gifts. They are all so cute and I am sure made so many fun memories. :)

Nat said...

I would love one of those i spy bags for my kids. How do you do those?

mcojaadams said...

Oh Katie is getting SO big - where does the time go! I wish we were still in the same ward so I could watch her grow! What a sweet little blessing she is!

Great gift ideas! I totally agree about the handmade gifts full of more love than store bought. Beautiful couch too!